ensact

Delivering the Best News to you!

Man stunned to find warning note left in wall of his shop by builder 40 years ago

While renovating his shop, a man was surprised to stumble across a warning message left inside the wall by a builder who had worked on the place 40 years before

Daniel Bodman was renovating his new showroom for his masonry business, Market Town Memorials, when he recently came across something unexpected in one of the walls.

The 39-year-old found a note in the wall left by a builder named Mr Nicholas Poole who had worked on the place 40 years prior, in 1986.

The surprising message was written on the back of an electricity safety notice and ironically told of how the builder had gotten an electric shock while working there.

Mr Poole’s note said: ”This shop, ‘Herb Craft’, was fitted by Nick Poole in August 1986 at an hourly pay rate of £2.00.

“Nearly all the wood fitted had been taken down, cleaned up and reused so that the main costs were my wages.

”The store walls are in a state so god knows what they will be like when you find this.

”While doing this job, I was electrocuted because I touched two bare wires accidentally. Nicholas Jo Poole.”

Bizarrely the message was scrawled on the back of a ‘Treatment of Electric Shock’ poster – complete with pictures of how to do CPR.

Daniel found the note during the renovations of an old building in Devizes in Wiltshire.

He was in the middle of taking some cladding down when he noticed the folded poster in the wall.

He added: “It makes an interesting little read, and had made us chuckle with what he had wrote it on.

“It would be interesting to find him.”